Property in Alanya. Ideal Estates, +90 532 777 4 777

The “Century of Tourism” Project

The "Century of Tourism" Project

Last Updated on Juni 2, 2024 by Ideal Editor

Expanding Tourism Year-Round: The “Century of Tourism” Project

The Association of Turkish Travel Agencies (TÜRSAB), in collaboration with the Ministry of Culture and Tourism, has launched an ambitious initiative called the “Century of Tourism” project. This initiative aims to transform Turkey’s tourism landscape by promoting year-round tourism and attracting high-income visitors to the country. The project aligns with President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan’s vision to enhance and diversify Turkey’s tourism offerings.

Project Goals and Vision

The “Century of Tourism” project aims to promote year-round tourism instead of just focusing on peak seasons. TÜRSAB, with its vast network of 15,000 travel agencies and 37 regional representatives, will focus on one region every four months. This strategic approach ensures that each region receives its fair share of tourism, promoting a more balanced distribution of visitors across the country.

Key Objectives

Year-Round Tourism

TÜRSAB Chairman Firuz Bağlıkaya emphasized the goal of spreading tourism throughout the year.

The chairman highlighted Turkey’s advantage over its competitors and noted that tourists can enjoy the country’s offerings in all four seasons. However, the number of tourists visiting Turkey during the off-peak months (January, February, March, November, and December) is significantly lower than its potential. In these months, Turkey sees 14.5 million visitors, which constitutes 29% of the total visitors, compared to Spain’s 31.2 million visitors in the same period.

The project aims to increase the number of tourists visiting Turkey outside the traditional sea-sand-sun season, thereby maximizing the country’s tourism potential throughout the year.

Attracting High-Income Tourists

Another primary objective is to attract more high-income tourists. By focusing on upscale tourism offerings and enhancing the quality of services, Turkey aims to draw visitors who are willing to spend more, thereby boosting the overall economic impact of tourism.

Regional Distribution of Tourists

Currently, the majority of tourists flock to a few hotspots, including Istanbul, Antalya, Muğla, and İzmir, which collectively receive 75% of the country’s tourists. The remaining 25% are distributed across other regions. The “Century of Tourism” project aims to promote lesser-known destinations for a more equitable spread of tourism benefits.

Implementation Strategy

Regional Focus

To achieve these goals, TÜRSAB will implement a rotating focus strategy, concentrating on a different region every four months. This approach allows for targeted marketing and development efforts, ensuring that each region’s unique attractions and offerings are highlighted.

Enhancing Tourism Infrastructure

Investments will be made in improving the tourism infrastructure across the country. This includes developing new attractions, improving transportation links, and enhancing the quality of accommodations and services.

Marketing and Promotion

Turkey will launch a comprehensive marketing and promotion campaign. This will involve domestic and international efforts, using digital marketing, social media, and traditional media to reach potential tourists.

Expected Impact

Extending the tourism season and attracting high-income visitors to boost tourism revenues and contribute to the country’s economic growth. Moreover, the regional focus will help in the development of lesser-known areas, promoting balanced economic development across the country.

The “Century of Tourism” project represents a bold and forward-thinking approach to developing Turkey’s tourism industry. By promoting year-round tourism and attracting high-income visitors, TÜRSAB aims to unlock Turkey’s full tourism potential. This initiative promises to transform the tourism landscape, ensuring that every region benefits from the economic opportunities tourism brings. As Turkey enters its second century, the ‘Century of Tourism’ project shows the country’s dedication to growth and innovation.

Compare listings

Vergleichen